“Hey Mr. Raj, I just wanted to let you know that you’re doing a great job. Keep up the fantastic work!” – my building principal
Doesn’t it feel wonderful when someone gives you a compliment related to your speech therapy abilities? Whether the compliment comes from your supervisor, a co-worker, or a parent of one of your students, a genuine compliment always has a magical way of making your heart feel all warm and fuzzy. (And who doesn’t love feelin’ all warm and fuzzy inside?!)
Compliments are the best!
Danielle Reed and I often have some hilarious conversations together and I just had to share with you our latest one that centered on amazing compliments that would make any speech-language pathologist smile wider than a school bus. Together, we came up with a bunch of awesome compliments, but here are 6 of our favorites. Though we have never personally received any of the following compliments, we hope and pray that one day someone will say one of these to us!
For the school-based SLP:
- “You are the Michael Jordan and LeBron James of speech therapy!”
- “Your IEPs are like a beautifully written classic novel. Even better than anything by William Shakespeare.”
- “If I had the choice between observing your speech therapy sessions for a day or winning an all expense paid trip to Hawaii, I’d pick observing your speech therapy sessions for a day.”
For the hospital-based SLP:
- “Your SOAP notes are such a work of art that I decided to call the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. They MUST display your SOAP notes there for everyone to enjoy.”
- “You’re a spectacular chef. Gordon Ramsay, Rachel Ray, and Bobby Flay would all approve of your yummy dysphagia pureed meals.”
- “This consistency is heaven. You are a thickening guru!”
In closing . . .
When was the last time you gave a fellow speech-language pathologist a sincere compliment? It costs you nothing to do it and you can really make someone’s day. So, what are you waiting for? Feel free to give one of our compliments to your favorite SLP right now!